Skip to main content

Our classroom culture

"How do I create a classroom culture that supports all the things I value as a classroom teacher?

This inquiry led me to revisit my mission statement that I created years ago. I remember my professor telling me that once written, it should not be laminated and put on the wall only to be forgotten; instead, he encouraged me to look at it as a living and breathing document that needs to be tweaked every now and then in order to keep it authentic, significant, and relevant.

My old mission statement was as follows:

I will strive to be an educator who recognizes the differing needs of the 21st century learner, who creates meaningful, differentiated and engaging experiences to hone their critical thinking and communication skills. I will nourish their sense of curiosity, value their trust, and cherish their laughter as I aim to equip them with a solid sense of self. I will encourage them to use technological tools and a variety of learning strategies which will help them cope with our increasingly complex and demanding lives. I will show my students, through various ways, the importance of being open-minded, empathetic, and tolerant citizens of the world in order to become ethical and proactive citizens of the future." 

I created my mission statement with the invaluable support of my school community. Recognizing the significance of diverse perspectives, I sought feedback from my colleagues, PYP coordinator, and principal, drawing upon their insightful knowledge of me as an educator. However, upon reflection, I realized that one essential component of my community was inadvertently overlooked – my students!


Source: www.Ibo.org "Pedagogy and Design"

In the spirit of inclusivity and collaboration, I am committed to actively involving my students in the development and refinement of my mission statement. By valuing their unique insights and counting on their honesty, I will strive to create a classroom culture that embraces their voices, aspirations, and needs. With their support, I will shape an authentic, significant, and relevant mission that reflects our shared values and fosters a thriving learning environment."




This is what I have come up with after chatting with my students and takiing their feedback.

"I am committed to empowering 21st century learners by tailoring their educational experiences to meet their unique needs. I will create transformative, captivating, and personalized learning opportunities that foster critical thinking and effective communication skills. Nurturing their boundless curiosity, I will earn their trust and cherish their laughter while instilling in them a strong sense of self. Through the creation of a secure and harmonious environment, students will fearlessly explore their identities, understanding that mistakes serve as catalysts for growth. They will embrace the values of open-mindedness, empathy, and tolerance, becoming exemplary global citizens who actively shape a responsible and ethical future."


Thanks for reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelling the inquiry cycle in a PYP class room

“ People can make choices to support the sustainability of the Earth’s energy resources .” Me to students : Does that make sense? Students to me : (after a while)...not really...  Their understanding of "energy" during the pre-assessment task also reflected a superficial knowledge of the term. And thus our unit of inquiry started. As I was browsing the net, I came across this picture prompt- a map, which I thought would serve as a great provocation. The annual energy consumption per person . Kids love guessing where countries are, so it was a great way to address some geography at this point.  I had also been reading Craig Dwyer's  post  which inspired me to change my inquiry cycle and use a simpler one. Wonder (while exploring)- Explore (while wondering)- Create (while reflecting)- Reflect (with subsequent wonderings). I was feeling more at ease now. The map allowed the students to make a lot of inferences based on patterns which slowly

Summative assessment- simple machines

The student task : to design a machine that would : a) pop a balloon b) lift a bucket of water c) ring a bell d) push a ball into a hole Criteria: They must must design a machine using atleast 2 simple machines. They have to use IT skills and upload their video on Youtube, generate the embed code and transfer same to blog. Their video must be clear and creative. Though some of these students may be struggling with the language, using correct scientific vocabulary ensures that their presentations are clearly understood.

A teacher's antidote to stress

Life can become hectic for us teachers. What does a Friday feel like to you sometimes? By the end of the day, I feel like having a hot bath, switching off my mobile phone, and ignoring everyone around me. For my Masters program, the first thing we were made aware of was the intense stress teachers go through and how important it is to make time for yourself. I always felt selfish when I took out a little 'me' time. My kids would be banging on the door while I was getting a massage done at home. When I would come out after one hour, feeling happy, I would get sarcastic looks from everyone in the house! But I always knew that if I did not take out some time for myself, I would get mad! I love Hatha Yoga. Every morning I feel and enjoy the stretches; I am conscious of how I breath. I silently communicate with my body and get to know it. With a little practice, this becomes a really good habit. I love smooth pebbles! I collect them whenever I see one that intrigues me