Skip to main content

Formative assessment

Today,  as I was updating my profile on the blog (many things have changed since I started it), I observed with interest that most of the hits from my readers were on a post that addressed formative and summative assessments in the classroom.

Teachers are always looking for ways to assess children and one way to find them is by foraging through the world wide web.

Formative assessments can be as simple as taking notes, talking to children, recording a scenario on video, an exit slip, or a simple checklist. The purpose of the formative assessment is to know what the students know and need to understand; it also informs the children what they know and need to investigate further.

I am working on simple machines with my students.

The children need to understand the following concept:  Machines make our lives easier. We can show children different examples of machines and test them on their knowledge by giving them a 'test'. However, this is but one way of assessing their knowledge. In order for the students to embrace this understanding and apply it in real life situations, they need to experience the simple machines.
They need to build them, analyze them and draw parallels with the world around them.
For the last two weeks, they have been exploring machines, building machines, going on a machine hunt, reading books about machines, and watching movies where machines have been used. The students made up a machine dance too.

At the gym, Novatel Hotel

Getting help, building a ramp.

Creating a trebuchet with pencils

Trying out the catapult
A machine dance

Understanding how machines make lives easier
Figuring out where the load, pivot and fulcrum is.





The students created a catapult using a punching machine, some blue tack and a few rubber bands. The had to throw a ball made of foil as far as possible and measure the distance.
 We invited a parent (who is a very creative and enthusiastic amateur scientist). He made an amazing power generator using wire, rubber balls and screws!




As the children explore the various machines, I am constantly asking them questions and noting their answers. At times I ask some students to explain a concept to their peers. We keep talking about them everyday. Questions are posted on the wonder wall and are left there to be answered by the students themselves. Below the wonder wall, I strategically place all books on simple machines :)

Here are some of the formative assessments I have created along the way.

If you are doing a unit on this topic, please feel free to use the resources. If you have any great resources you want to share with us, we will be delighted to have them.
Formative Assessment

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelling the inquiry cycle in a PYP class room

“ People can make choices to support the sustainability of the Earth’s energy resources .” Me to students : Does that make sense? Students to me : (after a while)...not really...  Their understanding of "energy" during the pre-assessment task also reflected a superficial knowledge of the term. And thus our unit of inquiry started. As I was browsing the net, I came across this picture prompt- a map, which I thought would serve as a great provocation. The annual energy consumption per person . Kids love guessing where countries are, so it was a great way to address some geography at this point.  I had also been reading Craig Dwyer's  post  which inspired me to change my inquiry cycle and use a simpler one. Wonder (while exploring)- Explore (while wondering)- Create (while reflecting)- Reflect (with subsequent wonderings). I was feeling more at ease now. The map allowed the students to make a lot of inferences based on patterns which slowly

Summative assessment- simple machines

The student task : to design a machine that would : a) pop a balloon b) lift a bucket of water c) ring a bell d) push a ball into a hole Criteria: They must must design a machine using atleast 2 simple machines. They have to use IT skills and upload their video on Youtube, generate the embed code and transfer same to blog. Their video must be clear and creative. Though some of these students may be struggling with the language, using correct scientific vocabulary ensures that their presentations are clearly understood.

A teacher's antidote to stress

Life can become hectic for us teachers. What does a Friday feel like to you sometimes? By the end of the day, I feel like having a hot bath, switching off my mobile phone, and ignoring everyone around me. For my Masters program, the first thing we were made aware of was the intense stress teachers go through and how important it is to make time for yourself. I always felt selfish when I took out a little 'me' time. My kids would be banging on the door while I was getting a massage done at home. When I would come out after one hour, feeling happy, I would get sarcastic looks from everyone in the house! But I always knew that if I did not take out some time for myself, I would get mad! I love Hatha Yoga. Every morning I feel and enjoy the stretches; I am conscious of how I breath. I silently communicate with my body and get to know it. With a little practice, this becomes a really good habit. I love smooth pebbles! I collect them whenever I see one that intrigues me