Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First day jitters of a nervous teacher

I did not have the luxury of meeting with the kids during the summer camp in July. I was nervous and hoped they would like my face. Bright eyed, chirpy , extremely smart kids came up to me with more confidence than I could muster. One looked at me and smiled and seemed happy that I would be her teacher. Phew!
I come from Africa...that is how I was introduced. The kids looked at me in wonder and I overheard two of then talking during break time, analysing the colour of my skin and wonderiong where I fit in.

These children are completely new to PYP ; they are very comfortable with their mother tongue. English does not come easily to them though they speak it loudly and with infinite confidence.I knew I had a challenge ahead of me. I have to introduce the the pyp lingo very slowly. I looked at my wall where all the attitudes, concepts, learner profiles glared beadily at me...maybe one word at a time? What is the hurry?

I would love to share my first weekly planner with my you if you are reading this and interested :)

Click on the link and press the plus sign to enlarge

Year 4 pyp planner for first week of school term 1

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Naini. I too get nervous before the first day, especially in a new school & new country! Hope you are settling well. Would love to hear how your first week goes. Thanks for sharing your planner as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and comment!