Skip to main content

A lesson plan for the learner profiles?!


Something small, but I feel like writing about it.
I don't know why I become a little teary when I think of this incident that happened in my classroom today.
           Yesterday, a thursday, a day when I have the kids almost throughout the day, a day when I do feel overwhelmed a bit I admit!...while I was going through my drawer (which is a mess!) I found a pair of my favourite craft scissors... broken. Someone had attempted to repair it by wrapping masking tape around it. I was upset of course because no one had come to tell me about it.
I asked the class who had opened my drawer and taken the scissors and broken it. There was silence. A few eyes popped; a few jaws dropped in utter disbelief. I continued to look at them sternly,  not expecting (unfortunately) any response whatsoever, when from the corner of my eyes I saw a hand slowly, tentatively rise up. I asked the little girl if she had broken it. She said she had. I do expect my kids to be honest, but I spend most parts of the day dealing with children who try and fob things off onto others. I thanked her for being honest and told her it was okay.The students were puzzled at how easily the matter ended. I gave them time to digest what had happened and the next day, asked them to reflect upon the incident. It was a great moment of learning. How does one teach children about being principled unless they are put to the test? In our PYP curriculum students are expected to exhibit qualities of "being" Principled, Open-minded, Balanced etc, but these are very abstract concepts.This was a great way to teach the children about truth;about facing consequences. No lesson planned!


Comments

  1. She had almost certainly not intended to break them, it was merely an accident, and had then tried to repair them. She must have felt terrible. Shall I buy you some new ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, I know what you mean! It also made me reflect more about me as a person. The student should have felt comfortable coming and telling me. I have to be calm on a Thursday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naini, great posting! How often do we lose it....for nothing. But it takes an incident like that to open our minds and appreciate who we have in our lives and how important little gestures, words, actions are. To have a student put up their hands shows a classroom environment that has evolved over time and provided opportunities for students to be themselves, reflect on their learning and behavior, while at the same time develop those attitudes(LP) THAT WE ALL NEED IN OUR LIVES. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelling the inquiry cycle in a PYP class room

“ People can make choices to support the sustainability of the Earth’s energy resources .” Me to students : Does that make sense? Students to me : (after a while)...not really...  Their understanding of "energy" during the pre-assessment task also reflected a superficial knowledge of the term. And thus our unit of inquiry started. As I was browsing the net, I came across this picture prompt- a map, which I thought would serve as a great provocation. The annual energy consumption per person . Kids love guessing where countries are, so it was a great way to address some geography at this point.  I had also been reading Craig Dwyer's  post  which inspired me to change my inquiry cycle and use a simpler one. Wonder (while exploring)- Explore (while wondering)- Create (while reflecting)- Reflect (with subsequent wonderings). I was feeling more at ease now. The map allowed the students to make a lot of inferences based on patterns which slowly

Summative assessment- simple machines

The student task : to design a machine that would : a) pop a balloon b) lift a bucket of water c) ring a bell d) push a ball into a hole Criteria: They must must design a machine using atleast 2 simple machines. They have to use IT skills and upload their video on Youtube, generate the embed code and transfer same to blog. Their video must be clear and creative. Though some of these students may be struggling with the language, using correct scientific vocabulary ensures that their presentations are clearly understood.

Student Agency in a PYP classroom

http://www.teacherstakecharge.com/ We have just started our unit on Ancient Civilisations. My students had been complaining about their summative task for the last unit. They were experts on the human body systems and we had a "Hot Seat" session where they were asked a few questions. They found it boring after a while. Frankly, so did I. And so I decided to relinquish control of the IB planner to them...at least stages 3 and 4. I have never tried this before. I will be working on the " reflection stage" with them later on. What can I say! The past two days have been exciting, eventful, noisy and very, very fruitful. As they looked at the central idea and the lines of inquiry, the whole class brainstormed tuning-in activities in groups. As they spoke, I updated my planner (stage 4 - learning engagements) This is what they came up with: Play "Chinese Whispers" to see how messages from the past can change as they filter down to us. Watch”