Skip to main content

Trying to get the kids excited about a unit of inquiry

We are studying all about old artifacts and how archaeologists spend hours analysing and drawing conclusions about the past. It's a unit that requires a lot of planning in order to ensure that the kids make some connections to this unit and find an innate desire to learn more about the past. All they could think about at the beginning was Egypt and the mummies! I cannot emphasise enough the need for a KWL chart for this unit! It has been working really well and the kids have understood the fact that they started this unit with a certain amount of knowledge and as the research has been progressing, they have come up with new understanding...

Until i came across a students blog comment which I quote verbatim:
"
this unit that we are doing doesn't sound interesting.

in this unit we have only been learning about old precious things.the only artifact that is good and interesting to me is rayhan's. it made me think a lot. i think the key was used in the old times to open fort jesus and to open wine"

This made me sit up and think! Here I was planning the purrrrfect unit and
a child was not excited about old crumbling objects. An Inquiry cycle implies just that. A fluid circular movemment.And not necessarily forward. It was time to re-think and strategize. How could i make the kids "feel" like archaeologists?

I posed the questions to the kids, explaining to them that it was not possible to dig up Fort Jesus as it was a very old and precious fort,cherished dearly by Mombasa. The government would not take kindly to any kind of onslaught! :)

So we decided to excavate the area under the Baobab tree. (and I did not ask admin permission!!!)
Niranjana, a very quiet but keen student had told us she had seen bones there. that got everyone excited and a new path took it's course.

I have posted some videos which I feel reflect a great inquiry lesson.
As a learning experience ,I listened to myself asking questions. I didn't do too bad :)!!... especially as I was not conscious of myself interacting with the kids. Excuse the loud chuckling noises (of appreciations) I make when the kids discover something! I made a faus pax somewhere. Spot it if you dare! :)











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelling the inquiry cycle in a PYP class room

“ People can make choices to support the sustainability of the Earth’s energy resources .” Me to students : Does that make sense? Students to me : (after a while)...not really...  Their understanding of "energy" during the pre-assessment task also reflected a superficial knowledge of the term. And thus our unit of inquiry started. As I was browsing the net, I came across this picture prompt- a map, which I thought would serve as a great provocation. The annual energy consumption per person . Kids love guessing where countries are, so it was a great way to address some geography at this point.  I had also been reading Craig Dwyer's  post  which inspired me to change my inquiry cycle and use a simpler one. Wonder (while exploring)- Explore (while wondering)- Create (while reflecting)- Reflect (with subsequent wonderings). I was feeling more at ease now. The map allowed the students to make a lot of inferences based on patterns which slowly

Summative assessment- simple machines

The student task : to design a machine that would : a) pop a balloon b) lift a bucket of water c) ring a bell d) push a ball into a hole Criteria: They must must design a machine using atleast 2 simple machines. They have to use IT skills and upload their video on Youtube, generate the embed code and transfer same to blog. Their video must be clear and creative. Though some of these students may be struggling with the language, using correct scientific vocabulary ensures that their presentations are clearly understood.

Student Agency in a PYP classroom

http://www.teacherstakecharge.com/ We have just started our unit on Ancient Civilisations. My students had been complaining about their summative task for the last unit. They were experts on the human body systems and we had a "Hot Seat" session where they were asked a few questions. They found it boring after a while. Frankly, so did I. And so I decided to relinquish control of the IB planner to them...at least stages 3 and 4. I have never tried this before. I will be working on the " reflection stage" with them later on. What can I say! The past two days have been exciting, eventful, noisy and very, very fruitful. As they looked at the central idea and the lines of inquiry, the whole class brainstormed tuning-in activities in groups. As they spoke, I updated my planner (stage 4 - learning engagements) This is what they came up with: Play "Chinese Whispers" to see how messages from the past can change as they filter down to us. Watch”