Skip to main content

Sorting the potatoes...

I was listening to this audio clip yesterday...

Podcast - Alfie Kohn: Choosing Excellence Learning Matters






Alfie Kohn's views on authentic learning and his opinion on what a great classroom environment should look like is not really a novel idea. It reminds me of a checklist I got during a PD session at school titled,  "What a PYP classroom looks like." In it, most of what Mr Kohn talks about are mentioned. And yet listening to them again refreshed my mind and helped me reassess my teaching practices. At times my students are engrossed in an activity or engaged in an amimated discussion about something. I find myself rubbing my hands with glee and giving myself a pat on the back. But then sometimes not. I was editing a piece of writing the other day, trying to get the children to see how a sentence could be polished and made to sound better. I caught a few kids yawning and had to rethink the way my lesson was going. At times, kids are not in a mood to learn and no matter what you do, they will be bored. So if Mr Kohn walked into my class at that moment ,would that mean I'm not not a good teacher?

Listening to the podacst does put pressure on me to some extent: I feel frustrated when things don't go well. I guess that's the very reason i called my blog "Learning never stops"! So why do I feel frustrated when I make a mistake or when my collaegues point them out to me. Everyone learns through mistakes, especially teachers.

Alfie Kohn's  approach to teaching is one approach. Children are different and some approaches work well with a some students; we have to keep figuring out other approaches. There are students who would proabably benefit from a very structured environment  because there is no structure at home. Some kids  have no clue what to do the moment you try and give them an activity where independant thinking is required. Sorting potatoes is good. It's what I call differentiating. And I would need to do that to design a better lesson plan. Not easy but 'a' way that accomodates all the different learning styles.

But I take solace in what I do well...I listen more and let the kids do the talking. That way my vocal chords are fine by the end of the day.I enjoy analysing mistakes and use them as mini lessons in my class. I create a safe and happy environement where I become a mentor to my kids. 

I am not particular about students filling up exercise books neatly so that parents can ooo and ahhh over them or my supervisor can see how well I'm teaching. That is absolutely silly to me. I love using journals where the kids quickly scribble there understanding of concepts. I know presentation matters...that's why I teach them different web 2.0 tools.
I will fill my walls up with student work but 'pole pole' ('slowly' in Swahili) not because someone will walk in and see a blank bulletine board, but because the time is right and the kids are ready.

My kids are working on their portfolio but I still find it challenging to make them appreciate the portfolio as an assesment tool,as evidence of their learning journey; but then I thought of all their blogposts and how that has become their e-portfolio: a record of all their reflections since term one!

And that's why I liked the podcast...it helped me reflect and relearn some of the critical things that make teachers effective.

Comments

  1. I listened to the podcast and agree that while there is little that is new (to be fair it is an old recording - 1999) it still made me stop and think. We strive to create classrooms that will inspire children and meet their individual needs. Yet, we make mistakes ~ it is so easy to slip into old habits. I am going to take your advice and think of these mistakes as opportunities to reflect about my practice - learning opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelling the inquiry cycle in a PYP class room

“ People can make choices to support the sustainability of the Earth’s energy resources .” Me to students : Does that make sense? Students to me : (after a while)...not really...  Their understanding of "energy" during the pre-assessment task also reflected a superficial knowledge of the term. And thus our unit of inquiry started. As I was browsing the net, I came across this picture prompt- a map, which I thought would serve as a great provocation. The annual energy consumption per person . Kids love guessing where countries are, so it was a great way to address some geography at this point.  I had also been reading Craig Dwyer's  post  which inspired me to change my inquiry cycle and use a simpler one. Wonder (while exploring)- Explore (while wondering)- Create (while reflecting)- Reflect (with subsequent wonderings). I was feeling more at ease now. The map allowed the students to make a lot of inferences based on patterns which slowly

Summative assessment- simple machines

The student task : to design a machine that would : a) pop a balloon b) lift a bucket of water c) ring a bell d) push a ball into a hole Criteria: They must must design a machine using atleast 2 simple machines. They have to use IT skills and upload their video on Youtube, generate the embed code and transfer same to blog. Their video must be clear and creative. Though some of these students may be struggling with the language, using correct scientific vocabulary ensures that their presentations are clearly understood.

A teacher's antidote to stress

Life can become hectic for us teachers. What does a Friday feel like to you sometimes? By the end of the day, I feel like having a hot bath, switching off my mobile phone, and ignoring everyone around me. For my Masters program, the first thing we were made aware of was the intense stress teachers go through and how important it is to make time for yourself. I always felt selfish when I took out a little 'me' time. My kids would be banging on the door while I was getting a massage done at home. When I would come out after one hour, feeling happy, I would get sarcastic looks from everyone in the house! But I always knew that if I did not take out some time for myself, I would get mad! I love Hatha Yoga. Every morning I feel and enjoy the stretches; I am conscious of how I breath. I silently communicate with my body and get to know it. With a little practice, this becomes a really good habit. I love smooth pebbles! I collect them whenever I see one that intrigues me