Friday, August 30, 2013

Automacity Disrupted


I am currently engaged in a maths course which is proving to be immensely interesting. I am most certainly going through a paradigm shift in my approach towards maths in general.
For instance, did you know that the latest neuroscience research indicates that "speed" is in fact detrimental to a child's mental pshyche? Karni, A., Meyer, G., Rey-Hipolito, P., Adams, M., Turner, R., Ungerleider, L. (1998).

Games such as "I have" which I have loved and used many times in class, can actually promote anxiety and create an aversion to maths in the long run.

 I also learnt about the Centipede's dilemma as a result of automaticity disrupted.

Check out my maths story on this topic.


 

I have, as you may have noticed, left out the centipede. His expression (yes male) is for you to visualize :)


Based on the centipede's reaction, is it then a good strategy to disrupt automaticity in our students?! What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and comment!