Skip to main content

Mindfulness Routine in our classroom


"To meditate means to go home to yourself. Then you know how to take care of the things that are happening inside you, and you know how to take care of the things that happen around you."






Last week on Twitter, I happened to come across @Samsherrat talking about mindfulness. He asked me to write a post on my experience as a classroom teacher.
Hence this post ...


We have been practicing mindfulness in our class from the very first day of school. Initially, it was hard to keep the students focused...they stirred and giggled and whispered to one another. Some struggled to keep their eyes closed, while others shuffled uncomfortably. Rustling sounds and nervous coughs pervaded the room. One girl complained that she felt sleepy after meditation. Another grumbled the next day when I asked them to close their eyes.  But, like an adamant bull,  I persisted. Today, the students eagerly remind me of this time. The class becomes still and silent as syncopated breathing becomes the order of the day.

The reason I persisted with this practice was that I have experienced the joys of meditation and seen how it has benefitted people around me. My parents meditate for an hour every morning. They are old, yet how healthy and happy they are! My dad's dysfunctional lung (written off by the medics) is as healthy as can be today! Mom and dad won't start their day without meditation. 
There seems to be something magnetic and alluring about it that cannot be explained unless you experience it. 

Having lived in India for a while, I have seen how mindfulness and yoga are a  part of the daily lives of people. Not some fad that has suddenly caught on. It was therefore a tad annoying to read a comment on Twitter where someone (no names mentioned) totally brushed aside the efficacy of this practice stating that there was no research to back the practice of mindfulness in the classroom. Of course, I had to disagree. I was subsequently told off for ignoring the advice of some expert (whose name I couldn't really bother to remember) who found meditation pointless.  But this I have to say...I know my students fairly well. Of course, there may be many things I do not know about them, but I have made it my business to know them as well as I can. And I know that our morning sessions have established a calming routine which we all look forward to. 

How does mindfulness look like in our classroom?

Every two weeks, two students take on the duty of the class "zen masters". They conduct the meditation. As students meditate, they guide them. If necessary, they gently tap the back of someone who happens to be slouching.

When we open our eyes, the world appears brighter. Life seems to be good. A feeling of calmness descends upon our class. 

Listen to what my students have to say about meditation in this voice thread:








Resources:
http://www.trytherapy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Just-be.jpg

Comments

  1. Lovely Naini and coincidentally I attended the IB conference and one of the speaker was Linda Lanterri and I was profoundly touched by it. Not that it was something new, but I felt it was high time I practiced with my students. From then I have this has become our class morning routine and as you rightfully stated it does bring calmness and order to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Naini and coincidentally I attended the IB conference and one of the speaker was Linda Lanterri and I was profoundly touched by it. Not that it was something new, but I felt it was high time I practiced with my students. From then I have this has become our class morning routine and as you rightfully stated it does bring calmness and order to the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelling the inquiry cycle in a PYP class room

“ People can make choices to support the sustainability of the Earth’s energy resources .” Me to students : Does that make sense? Students to me : (after a while)...not really...  Their understanding of "energy" during the pre-assessment task also reflected a superficial knowledge of the term. And thus our unit of inquiry started. As I was browsing the net, I came across this picture prompt- a map, which I thought would serve as a great provocation. The annual energy consumption per person . Kids love guessing where countries are, so it was a great way to address some geography at this point.  I had also been reading Craig Dwyer's  post  which inspired me to change my inquiry cycle and use a simpler one. Wonder (while exploring)- Explore (while wondering)- Create (while reflecting)- Reflect (with subsequent wonderings). I was feeling more at ease now. The map allowed the students to make a lot of inferences based on patterns which slowly

Summative assessment- simple machines

The student task : to design a machine that would : a) pop a balloon b) lift a bucket of water c) ring a bell d) push a ball into a hole Criteria: They must must design a machine using atleast 2 simple machines. They have to use IT skills and upload their video on Youtube, generate the embed code and transfer same to blog. Their video must be clear and creative. Though some of these students may be struggling with the language, using correct scientific vocabulary ensures that their presentations are clearly understood.

A teacher's antidote to stress

Life can become hectic for us teachers. What does a Friday feel like to you sometimes? By the end of the day, I feel like having a hot bath, switching off my mobile phone, and ignoring everyone around me. For my Masters program, the first thing we were made aware of was the intense stress teachers go through and how important it is to make time for yourself. I always felt selfish when I took out a little 'me' time. My kids would be banging on the door while I was getting a massage done at home. When I would come out after one hour, feeling happy, I would get sarcastic looks from everyone in the house! But I always knew that if I did not take out some time for myself, I would get mad! I love Hatha Yoga. Every morning I feel and enjoy the stretches; I am conscious of how I breath. I silently communicate with my body and get to know it. With a little practice, this becomes a really good habit. I love smooth pebbles! I collect them whenever I see one that intrigues me